This forum was created for news and support while the Frihost and FFS Forums were down and Server 1 with the Forum hosting accounts on it was still up and running. The ending was obviously predictable, but it's still sad news when Frihost Server 1 finally came to an end on Valentines Day - 14 February 2019.

Our heartfelt thanks to Bondings for supporting us for a very long time with providing free hosting to those who could not afford it, long after he stopped being involved with Frihost. Not only did he continue to provide free hosting, but the hosting was of the best quality ever on a 5-star cpanel server with Hetzner. Specs were enormous and for the period January 2015 to 14 February 2019 we rarely had a down time on the server. We're sad Bondings stopped communicating with us, but wish him the best wherever he is and with whatever projects he is involved with.

For those who are curious about the last days of Frihost - here's a blog article I wrote at Gigarocket.net:

https://www.gigarocket.net/blog/rip-frihost-and-ffs/

If you are looking to contact me, you'll find me at either https://gigarocket.net/forum (genesis) or https://post4vps.com (deanhills).

Change my Primary Domain Name

deanhills
Site Admin

Re: Change my Primary Domain Name

Post by deanhills » Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 am

don wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 am
Dean , so my question is , Can I just point the A record rather than changing name servers.
When I change name servers , I lost control on my other records like Mx records or sub domain records , and probably need to manage them elsewhere , which is a little cumbersome.
Hence I was hoping that I could just create an A record , and point it to the IP address of Frihost , rather than changing or delegating name servers.

Is that possible ?
No it isn't possible. It's also a strange request for me. What I could suggest is that you revert to your previous frihost.net domain as your primary domain, and then use the current primary domain as an add on domain. So you can get into cPanel. However you're still going to need the name servers of the add on domain to point to Frihost.

Please note I'm in the process of traveling. Most of May in fact. I'm en route from South Africa to Canada as we speak. Previously I was in the UAE. So if you don't receive immediate responses it is because I'm traveling. I don't access the WHM with public WiFi at airports and such. So will need to be settled into my accommodation in Canada before I can make any changes. May take at least two to three days. If you're in a hurry your best bet is to change the name servers as suggested. Otherwise maybe you need to find a paid service where you can receive a more timeous response. You may even want to consider getting a VPS instead of shared hosting so it will free you up more with what you want to do.

don

Post by don » Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Dean,

First I have to say thank you for all the help you have been providing amidst your busy schedule.
I want you to know that it is highly appreciated.

Second , I think I have figured out most of the things I have wanted.
I am currently checking out if it works.
however there are a few things which do not.

I will continue to research and if I need something specific , I will post it back here.

Thanks for all the help so far ,
And hope I am able to sort out things.

Thanks
DON

don

Post by don » Wed May 16, 2018 5:55 am

Most things look to be working fine , thanks for all the support so far :)

There is one thing which is not working - Email.

Based on the advice I have had earlier on this forum , I have seperated my email provider externally..
Thus , I do not recieve email via the mailboxes on Frihost.

However , I do have a contact form published on my website , which is supposed to send an email.

Every time this is attempted , teh frihost server tries to resolve my domain and send email internally , rather than forward to my provider.
I have tried deleting the MX record within frihost , I tried poiting it to my provider , but in all cases this did not work.

( Please note : Any email sent externally via email clients etc is getting correctly delivered. It is only the contact form which is not working as it tries internally within frihost servers )

I do not want Frihost to handle any email for this domain [ even when sent via contact form ]( and I have selected that option in the settings , but it keeps doing the same thing ).
Any inputs ?

don

Post by don » Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 am

I have been able to configure this too..
No more assistance required for this task.

Thanks anyways :)

don

Post by don » Thu May 17, 2018 4:34 am

Final request ..
Since this forum is public , could you please remove my domain name from the comments.
I removed from my posts , request you to erase from your comment / post as well.

Reason : as soon as I posted , I have started getting a lot of spam comments and struggling with blocking them.

Thanks

deanhills
Site Admin

Post by deanhills » Fri May 18, 2018 10:23 am

don wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 am
Dean , so my question is , Can I just point the A record rather than changing name servers.
When I change name servers , I lost control on my other records like Mx records or sub domain records , and probably need to manage them elsewhere , which is a little cumbersome.
Hence I was hoping that I could just create an A record , and point it to the IP address of Frihost , rather than changing or delegating name servers.

Is that possible ?
No it isn't. For me it is logical too. You have to be the registered owner of a domain before it can point to a hosting account on any server including at Frihost. And for that you need to go into your Domain Registrar account and change the name servers of your domain from the GoDaddy ones to our Frihost name servers. Only the owner of the domain can do that.