This forum was created for news and support while the Frihost and FFS Forums were down and Server 1 with the Forum hosting accounts on it was still up and running. The ending was obviously predictable, but it's still sad news when Frihost Server 1 finally came to an end on Valentines Day - 14 February 2019.

Our heartfelt thanks to Bondings for supporting us for a very long time with providing free hosting to those who could not afford it, long after he stopped being involved with Frihost. Not only did he continue to provide free hosting, but the hosting was of the best quality ever on a 5-star cpanel server with Hetzner. Specs were enormous and for the period January 2015 to 14 February 2019 we rarely had a down time on the server. We're sad Bondings stopped communicating with us, but wish him the best wherever he is and with whatever projects he is involved with.

For those who are curious about the last days of Frihost - here's a blog article I wrote at Gigarocket.net:

https://www.gigarocket.net/blog/rip-frihost-and-ffs/

If you are looking to contact me, you'll find me at either https://gigarocket.net/forum (genesis) or https://post4vps.com (deanhills).

Hosting a Backup

don

Hosting a Backup

Post by don » Sun May 06, 2018 10:26 am

Hello Webmasters and members.

Given the recent event and uncertainties , I wanted to check from the experts how can one have a working backup of the website.

I have the working copy of my website on Frihost / FreeFTPspace.
If I have the backup , and the site ready, theoretically , in the event that the host goes down , I should be able to restore my backup to a new host , repoint my DNS , and I should be good.
[ There are a few additional challenges , as changing the hostname of the site etc ].

What are the requirements for this kind of an arrangements ?
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Are there any best practices ?

Thanks in advance
DON

deanhills
Site Admin

Re: Hosting a Backup

Post by deanhills » Sun May 06, 2018 10:22 pm

don wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:26 am
Hello Webmasters and members.

Given the recent event and uncertainties , I wanted to check from the experts how can one have a working backup of the website.

I have the working copy of my website on Frihost / FreeFTPspace.
If I have the backup , and the site ready, theoretically , in the event that the host goes down , I should be able to restore my backup to a new host , repoint my DNS , and I should be good.
[ There are a few additional challenges , as changing the hostname of the site etc ].

What are the requirements for this kind of an arrangements ?
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Are there any best practices ?

Thanks in advance
DON
Just check the Backup section of your cPanel. Make a full backup of the whole of your hosting account (dot.tar.gz) and download it to your computer. If you have databases, I suggest in addition to the complete backup of the account, you also make separate backups of the databases by using the tools in the backup section. If you move to a new host with cpanel, he can then install the whole hosting account "as is" from the complete backup dot.tar file. If you are going to move the Websites, then the databases would be important as you may have to start the installations from scratch and then import the databases with phpmyadmin.

If you have WordPress sites suggest that you install the plugin All in One WP Migration. All you need to do with the help of the plugin is to export the database to the hard disk of your computer. Then when you move to a different host, all you need is to install a new WordPress site with an empty database, and then load the plugin and then import your backup directly from the hard disk of your computer. It's as easy as that. Note this works mostly for smaller WordPress sites. For large ones you may need to look a bit further. Check the WordPress Plugins Directory.

don

Post by don » Tue May 08, 2018 5:12 am

Thanks for that Dean.
I already used the All in One WP plugin.
Yes , by and large it has worked out smooth.
But thats only for the home page.
For any internal page I get an error - I think this has to do with changing all permalinks , but I havent figured that out yet.
Any help / article for that may help me.
Hopefully that should be simple.

There are some plugins like contact form etc , which are not working when migrated to another host.
I will figure that out later.

Thanks for your suggestions.

deanhills
Site Admin

Post by deanhills » Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am

don wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:12 am
For any internal page I get an error - I think this has to do with changing all permalinks , but I havent figured that out yet.
Any help / article for that may help me.
I agree. It must be something to do with the permalinks. Once you've imported the backup, do you save the permalinks twice? It has to be saved 2 times immediately after the backup has been imported.

don

Post by don » Wed May 09, 2018 10:40 am

I have not imported the permlinks twice.
Not sure about that step.
I just imported the file that was created form All in one WP migration backup

deanhills
Site Admin

Post by deanhills » Wed May 09, 2018 7:56 pm

don wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:40 am
I have not imported the permlinks twice.
Not sure about that step.
I just imported the file that was created form All in one WP migration backup
Maybe you're not reading the instructions from the plugin that comes up every time after you have imported a backup. It says you need to save the permalinks twice.

don

Post by don » Thu May 10, 2018 7:52 am

You guided me in the right direction , thanks

This issue looks to be fixed after updating permalinks.