This forum was created for news and support while the Frihost and FFS Forums were down and Server 1 with the Forum hosting accounts on it was still up and running. The ending was obviously predictable, but it's still sad news when Frihost Server 1 finally came to an end on Valentines Day - 14 February 2019.

Our heartfelt thanks to Bondings for supporting us for a very long time with providing free hosting to those who could not afford it, long after he stopped being involved with Frihost. Not only did he continue to provide free hosting, but the hosting was of the best quality ever on a 5-star cpanel server with Hetzner. Specs were enormous and for the period January 2015 to 14 February 2019 we rarely had a down time on the server. We're sad Bondings stopped communicating with us, but wish him the best wherever he is and with whatever projects he is involved with.

For those who are curious about the last days of Frihost - here's a blog article I wrote at Gigarocket.net:

https://www.gigarocket.net/blog/rip-frihost-and-ffs/

If you are looking to contact me, you'll find me at either https://gigarocket.net/forum (genesis) or https://post4vps.com (deanhills).

Change my Primary Domain Name

don

Change my Primary Domain Name

Post by don » Tue May 08, 2018 5:15 am

Hi Moderators,

I have been using my site with a temporary domain - *****

I now wish to use a permanent domain : *****

Can you please help me update my domain name ?

Additional Doubt :

Once a domain name is updated , access to the website with old domain name will be lost.
Is there a way to get a temporary subdomain which keeps on working while the DNS entries are updated ?
Is there any documentation on how to make these changes , without losing access to my installation ?
Last edited by don on Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

deanhills
Site Admin

Re: Change my Primary Domain Name

Post by deanhills » Wed May 09, 2018 9:12 am

Primary domain has been successfully changed to brainites.com as requested.

don

Post by don » Wed May 09, 2018 10:42 am

Thanks for the action.
I have now ( as I feared ) lost access to my website.
In my old domain I had delegated access to ns.frihost.

Can I just point my A record instead ?
If yes , what should my A record point to ?

don

Post by don » Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm

I changed my NS domains and it seems things got messed up.
I cannot access my old or new site and the actual DNS also seems to be messed.
May need help soon.
Will keep updating once I get your response.
Thanks

deanhills
Site Admin

Post by deanhills » Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 pm

don wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:42 am
Thanks for the action.

If it is a WordPress site then you need to update your database with the new Website info. You need to go into phpmyadmin in cpanel. Then down the left hand side you should see the database that is associated with the WordPress site - click on it. Then somewhere in the tabs there there is one or two that need to be updated with the new Website information. It should be fixed after that. I think you also need to go into your WordPress Dashboard, after you've fixed the problem, and then change the Website in the General settings as well.

don

Post by don » Thu May 10, 2018 5:24 am

The problem is I cannot even access my cPanel now.
Since the link that was provided to me was linked with that old domain name which has been changed.
Is there an alternative link to the Cpanel please ?

don

Post by don » Thu May 10, 2018 5:33 am

deanhills wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 pm
don wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:42 am
Thanks for the action.

If it is a WordPress site then you need to update your database with the new Website info. You need to go into phpmyadmin in cpanel. Then down the left hand side you should see the database that is associated with the WordPress site - click on it. Then somewhere in the tabs there there is one or two that need to be updated with the new Website information. It should be fixed after that. I think you also need to go into your WordPress Dashboard, after you've fixed the problem, and then change the Website in the General settings as well.
I have figured out the articles to change it in wordoress.
Current problem is accessing anything on Frihost.
It is all hardcoded with the old domain name.

How can I access this ?
Also - can you please provide the IP address where i can point my domain A record , so that the new domain name is functional ?

Thanks in advance.

don

Post by don » Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 am

Hi

I really need the above information soon.
Have been unable to access my site for a few days now :(
Please help !!

deanhills
Site Admin

Post by deanhills » Mon May 14, 2018 4:18 pm

I checked and the name servers of your new domain are not Frihost name servers. Looks like GoDaddy name servers. You won't be able to access cpanel if you haven't added Frihost's name servers so the domain can point to your hosting account at Frihost - kind of logical, but maybe this is your first experience with a new domain? You need to go into the domain registrar of brainites.com and replace the name servers with our name servers so the domain can point to your hosting account at Frihost. Once you've made the change you need to allow it some time for the DNS to propagate anything from almost immediate to 72 hours.

Here are our name servers that were provided to you at the time when you applied for the hosting account:

ns1.frihost.net
ns2.frihost.net

don

Post by don » Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 am

Dean , so my question is , Can I just point the A record rather than changing name servers.
When I change name servers , I lost control on my other records like Mx records or sub domain records , and probably need to manage them elsewhere , which is a little cumbersome.
Hence I was hoping that I could just create an A record , and point it to the IP address of Frihost , rather than changing or delegating name servers.

Is that possible ?